Redefining Your Identity for Civilian Life (with Ben Killoy)
Whether you like it or not, your identity will be in some way redefined when you get out of the military. What will your life be like when you get out? What will be your career path, how will you make money, what will family life be like. Getting out of the military can be challenging but there are also opportunities to make improvements.
In this show, my guest has a mission to bring military veteran Dads home to their families. Ben Killoy is a U.S. Marine Veteran turned blogger, life coach, speaker, and podcaster. Ben has gone through what most transitioning veterans go through, the feeling of needing to redefine their identity outside of the structure of the military and rediscovering your passion and purpose for life. In this episode, he shares advice on how Dads and Moms can make the transition out in a way that works for them.
Thank you to the Financial Coaching Business Builder (FCBB) for supporting The Military Money Show. You can learn more about how the FCBB course can help you build a profitable and portable financial coaching business here
Redefining Your Identity for Civilian Life Episode Details
More on money and military: Why Military Couples Should Live Off One Income
- Transition isn’t as simple as the mandatory, military class, known as TAPS, makes it seem
- Losing the sense of purpose is a struggle, as much as finding new employment
- You gain an identity when you join the military, and losing that identity can present a challenge
- Understanding who you are “under the uniform”
- How building a community can build more opportunities
- Talking to people will clear up your vision and clear up the disconnected feeling that will make you feel alone in your new life.
- Why our military tribe is good to have but you cannot be afraid to reach to one another
- Understanding there is someone ahead of you that has been through the same experience and someone coming behind you that you can help
- Separate your checking and savings account, like with different banks, so you can’t easily transfer funds.
- How civilian life makes it easier to start living in debt (like most of society)
- Life is not as “simple” on the civilian side
- The importance of preparing your family for the transition from military to civilian life
Redefining Your Identity for Civilian Life Resources
More resources for the military: How to Get the Most Out of the SCRA
Thank You for Podcast Reviews!
I appreciate your review of The Military Money Show on iTunes, Google Play, TuneIn, iHeart Radio, and Stitcher. It helps me make the podcast better and better. Plus it helps other people find me.